When it’s been as cold as it has been, we tend to stay in and cook. Not sure about you, but we are getting burned out on the same old dinners! Here is a great one we found and tried that helped kick that “same old” routine.
Shredded Pork Tacos
The combination of root beer and chipotle chiles may seem kinda weird, but when you dig into the pork’s enticing balance of sweet and spicy, it will make perfect sense!
1- 4 pound bone-in pork shoulder
3 tablespoons chili powder
Ground black pepper
1 large onion, cut into wedges
3 cups root beer
3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped*
2 teaspoons canned adobo sauce
24 flour or corn tortillas, warmed**
the usual taco fixings; shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sliced fresh jalapeno peppers* (optional)
1. Sprinkle meat on all sides with chili powder, salt, and pepper; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in a 6-quart slow cooker. Tuck onion wedges around meat. In a bowl combine root beer, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce. Pour mixture over meat.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or until meat easily shreds with a fork. Turn off slow cooker.
3. Transfer meat to large cutting board or work surface; cool slightly.
4. Transfer cooking liquid to medium saucepan. Skim off and discard fat. Bring cooking liquid to simmering over medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is reduced and slightly thickened.
5. Use two forks to pull meat apart into coarse shreds, discarding fat; return meat to slow cooker. Pour reduced cooking liquid over meat, stirring to coat.
6. Serve meat in warm tortillas. If desired, add accompaniments.